Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"Insomnomaniac" by Angella Dagenhart

Graudate Student Winner
Insomnomaniac
by Angella Dagenhart
            I’m just about to have an audience with the king of France and his charming wife, when my bladder begins to pull me from my dream. Half awake, I struggle to retain the mental footing I have in my imagined world. I turn toward those whose company I had been enjoying looking for help, but they seem too engrossed in their conversations to notice me. Cynicism creeps in along the small light shafts of awareness that seem to multiply by the second. My friends, whom only moments before had my admiration, now seem absurd in their elaborate clothing and wigs stacked so high that they dare not turn too quickly, lest risk tipping like over-dressed Weeble Wobbles. I stand my ground and refuse to leave without a fight. I’m not going anywhere until I’ve tried the cake!
            My body is insistent, however. First there is only mere discomfort. But before long, tiny tendrils of pain creep across the floor of the long room.  They encircle my stomach and slowly move me toward the door. I try planting my feet, my arms flailing as I look for something to grab hold to.
            But it’s no use. The shades of my consciousness have been thrown open and the dream is gone. Defeated, I open my eyes and glance at the clock. 2:13 am. Damn.
            I make my way to the bathroom, placating the urge that intruded on my reverie. As my agitation wanes, I can’t help but laugh a little at myself. I either need to lay off of the double scoop sundaes before bedtime or costume dramas. Or both.
            Relieved, my bladder and I make our way back to bed. I climb under the covers thankful that the mattress is still warm. I wiggle and shift until I am comfortable and close my eyes. I lie that way for several minutes until a familiar feeling sweeps over me. I try desperately to not to think, though that only leads to thoughts about not thinking.
            ”Don’t do this,” I whisper to myself. I shut my eyes tighter in an attempt to block out the noisy chatter kicking up in my brain. It’s too late—I’ve already entered into a labyrinth of runaway thoughts. I desperately back-peddle, trying to retrace my steps to the dark, quiet spot my mind occupied only a few moments ago. Words fall, blocking my way. Long, run-on sentences force me down a narrow, dark corridor toward the problems I left at the foot of my bed with my slippers last night.
            Right or left? I turn right to find my mother’s worried apprehension over my ability (or, more accurately, inability) to pay off my student loans with the salary I make at the bookstore—the only job I could find after I graduated. Well, maybe not the only job.
            “I told you a humanities degree would be worthless!” I hear her say. From the perspective behind her large desk in her corporate suite, it never mattered that I had pursued what I loved. She always thought I should have followed in the shoes of her money driven ambition. “You’re just like your grandfather, with his romantic sensibilities. You know where that got him? Nowhere. He died in the same house he was born in, after working the same land all his life.”
            “But he died happy,” I say out loud, feeling immediately silly since I’m the only one in the room.
            I turn my thoughts down a new path, a long meandering one paved with my hopes and dreams for the future. I picture myself happy and in love. I picture Philip. I see us living in a small cottage with a book-lined room where I sit and write. I picture myself as a mother. The smooth rhythm of this path rocks is like a lullaby. I’m nearly asleep when a sharp turn forces me onto another path.
            Alone. That single word shines bright, illuminating everything along the straight corridor that stretches before me. I look around, but find nothing else to focus on but the nooks and crannies of my own insufficiency. I know this path well. I’ve walked it many sleepless nights. When I’m lucky, something in my head throws a switch and things go black as I descend into fitful sleep. Tonight doesn’t seem to be one of those nights, so I walk on. Alone.
            I walk over the cobblestones marking my failures and defeats. Over shame and regret, heartache and fear. I lean down and touch the stone with Philip’s name etched on it. My heart pounds as I trace the letters of his name. “He’s gone. It’s over. Let it go,” I whisper.
            I stand and move on, one foot over another. I move past the job I should have taken, but didn’t, thinking I was worth more. I’m not as different from my mother as she thinks. It’s awful knowing how much you’re worth.
            I keep waiting for there to be a bend along the way or for a bit of shade from the unrelenting spotlight I’ve forced on myself. But there is no stopping this runaway train of thoughts.
            After a while, my thinking and emoting starts to take its toll. I feel tension work its way up my back and toward my neck. My head begins to pound.
            I reach for the glass of water on my nightstand just as my alarm goes off. “Son of a bitch!” I curse under my breath. I grasp the clock tight in my hand preparing to launch it across the room. I clinch my teeth, feeling the muscles in my jaw bulge, and exhale—a long, slow, hissing breath. I turn the alarm off and set the clock back on my nightstand.
            The puffy flesh around my eyes is tender and the rest of my body aches as though I had been in some sort of battle. I feel only half alive. Worse, the half alive part of me doesn’t feel much like me. It feels more like some grumpy, sleep deprived creature—an insomnomaniac.
            “Well, if I don’t want to lose my job, this insomnomaniac better drag its ass out of bed.” I say out loud. Talking to myself. Great. Not a good sign.
            It’s going to be a long day.
THE END



No comments:

Post a Comment