Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"Indiangrass" by Sharon Erby

Faculty /Staff Winner
“Indiangrass”
by Sharon Erby
I.
 
The goat we saw in the high pale field
was not a goat but instead a young
albino deer who (we learned later)
hankered for the tender parts
of the neighbor’s smooth azalea.
 
We entered a pact with all concerned
to keep it quiet 
and our Indiangrass did its part
to swallow the fellow up and save it
from random (and deliberate)
blasts of lead from steel.
 
II.
 
I climbed past that same high field
across many seasons
in shoes not meant for hiking
wearing clothes that did not fit
to reach a plateau where
I could rest in nature’s arms.
 
And the burden of my shadow     
fell away
replaced by a new self 
seen in a flowing street of sparkle
where earth and sky
animal and human 
were all luminous.
 
III.
 
Look there! you said
after whisking me out,
wind washing us taking our breath from us
to glimpse again the white wonder,
this time closer  leggier  leaping.
 
In winter, I lobbed logs
into the outside fire box and
wondered how many colors of flame
we must endure to purify
our selves into white deer.

IV.

I cannot claim Teresa's castle
cathedrals constrain me  
my eyes deceive me  
and I have no power
to take breath away.
 
Please say you did not hear
any of this from me. Let me keep
these small surprises of self
quiet, safe, in Indiangrass.


No comments:

Post a Comment