Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Poem from the Inward Journey

At our mid-week service today on 'The Pilgrimage through Lent' I  was mindful of the inward journey we so often neglect are we scurry here, there and everywhere. I was reminded of this poem by Robert K. Hall. For me, it is a reminder to 'bathe in the immediacy' of God, through Holy Week and beyond.
 
CALL OFF THE SEARCH by Robert K. Hall
I walk upstairs.
I walk downstairs.
I wander into the kitchen
and look through a doorway into
the living room with all its books
and oriental carpets, but I can’t
find the point of it all,
can’t reach into what I’m looking
for until I sit down in the corner,
pull my blanket over my head,
close my eyes, look into the
interior rooms and listen for what
is moving in there, and again be
amazed that there is a river,
constant and uncreated, flowing,
announcing itself with the sound
of life everlasting, bursting into
this wrinkled brain substance,
translating itself into muscle,
bone, fat, connective tissue and dreams.

When I bathe in the immediacy,
I never have to search for
anything again.

Copyright 2000 Robert Hall
Out of Nowhere: Poems from the Inward Journey by Robert K. Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment